Saturday 20 August 2011

Shopper

In keeping with my current ambition to complete a few projects (heard that before?), I have completed a bag which I started on my last day at the Bourneville class before going on holiday. Annette wanted us all to take a botanical theme and make something. She brought in a  load of books and photos and I found a nice Lalique piece of jewelry which has been translated. The bag is a bit strange because the base fabric is from a sample book of upholstery fabric and I had to take two colourways of the same design. The same design is on the other side but the leaves are all green.  I did get round to using bondaweb to put all the leaves on before I went on holiday. Since returning, I have machine embroidered and hand-sewn and couched! And made the lining and the handles from a piece of my sister's batik. I am quite pleased with this and think it is going into the collection of possible Christmas presents!!




This morning I went through to Ledbury to do some food shopping and to see the Malvern Makers Exhibition at the little Gallery there. There was some incredible stumpwork including one of a set of allotments which includes a man watering his cabbages with a hose pipe.

I have thought further about making something for Small Expressions using Michael's enamels. I cannot hope to be able to weave an exact replica of the designs on the enamels. I have tried drafting using Diversified Plain Weave but am not happy. If the weaving designs can't be an exact copy of the enamels, should I put another completely different design in? I don't think so, mainly because the only unifying thread between the three enamels is that Michael made them. So I have to do a simplified version of each. Oh well, that's one decision taken.

Tomorrow I must deal with the post and then start on editting the Shuttle for Kennet Valley Guild

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.