Thursday 18 August 2011

Back to Textiles

The family have all gone away and I am back to dealing with a very large pile of partially finished projects. I like the term UFOs which quilters use. It means UnFinished Objects. I have updated my weaving records and finished off ends on the five cushions. It is now waiting to be washed. I have prepared two more warps to be wound and will do that tonight when I go to meet up with a group of friends. 

A great many computer bits and pieces have gone by way of the Malvern Freecycle website and I have found a good home for the high class hi-fi system with my eldest grandson. That will go in a week or two. This is all part of a gradual down sizing. If I do it a little at a time, I will get there eventually! This does NOT, of course, include downsizing the yarn stash! Which I intend to weave my way through.

There is a lot of wool yarn left over from the cushions and I am thinking of designing a fabric that I could felt and turn into a coat. When I have woven the last two cushions, I will have a better idea of how much yarn of each colour I have left.


This is the completed piece of Indian Applique which I started at the Festival of Quilts. I am not sure what to do with it. Applique it to a calico shopper? In which case I should do a matching piece for the other side. I could do another design on the other side.

I have the piece of bark from the Festival of Quilts pinned up at the end of the corridor (my version of a 'design wall') and, after walking past it for several days, have decided it does not need any more doing to it. Again I need to think of something to do with it.

The Handweavers Guild of America (HGA) has announced the rules for the yardage competition for the 2012 Convergence. The topic is 'Longitude'. Well!! I ask you!!!  What does that mean? I have been thinking hard and may have come up with something. The trouble is that it involves the fan reed and that is slow weaving!! I will keep away from 60/2 silk and use cotton. But it is beginning to take shape. I am also thinking about Small Expressions.

So plenty to get on with. This afternoon I have to go round to the travel agents. Next Easter I am taking two grandchildren, Chris and Madi, to Australia for 2 weeks - Sydney, (they get to surf on Bondi Beach), the Blue Mountains and the Barrier Reef. This is something I have wanted to do for a long time. What with going to Japan in October this year and getting to Australia next year, what to do after that? The Silk Route!!!

In the meantime, a cupboard calls to be cleared out.

3 comments:

  1. I'm told there are Silk Route travels (textile-centered AND including some part camel-riding) organized from Sweden... want me to find out more? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes please!!! I won't be going till 2012/3 but I have only found one who does the whole route - they are Australian. So any info would be gratefully received

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.