Sunday 14 August 2011

Fashion Show

The Festival of Quilts held a fashion show last Thursday evening. I try to keep hostility out of this blog but have decided that the occasion deserves flak. It was organised with 4 Irish, 4 Russian and 4 UK designers who each produced an item of daywear, evening wear and 'wearable art'. And the clothes were worn by the designers. To summarise, the Irish clothes were best, the Russians had more oomph on the catwalk and the UK were jokey. The brief to the UK designers had clearly been different from everyone else's.

However there were terrible problems inflicted on the poor participants by the organisers.  The catwalk was the standard T-shape with each person entering at the centre of the top, walking right and left , then down the leg of the T. There was mad coloured ornamental lighting over the centre section of the catwalk which made it difficult to see the model at all and, if you could make her out, the lighting was changing colour and strobing so that you had no idea what colour(s) the model was wearing until they were at the extremes of the T. To add to that snatches of pop music were played, different for each model so that I had just identified one tune/song/whatever when another started. The faces of the UK and Irish models were frozen in  terror. The whole thing took place in a hotel and you had to pay.

All I can say is that 'Sewing for Pleasure' manage to build an arena in the NEC and use youngsters as models who looked at home on the catwalk. That show runs several times during the day and it is free to everyone attending the Show.   Convergence also manages the whole thing much better.  Bah!

Today I have woven another two cushions, taken five computers to the tip (after destroying their hard-disks), got rid of 6 keyboards, 5 mice and 75 CD cases through the local freecycle website and have a further two rubbish sacks of computer cables which I will put on the site soon .

I feel very virtuous.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.