Monday 22 August 2011

No Projects Again Today

Today has been devoted to preparing the next issue of  the Shuttle, the quarterly Newsletter of Kennet Valley Guild. It is an issue with a  single topic, the Newbury Coat weekend.  So there was much revamping of formats, re-ordering of material and finding out that, while I have a lot of material, there are obvious lacunae. Much telephoning and fawning emails. Especially since I have to have the proof ready (and that means proof-read) by next weekend. I have not started on selecting photos yet as  I thought it better to get the text together. And in the middle of all this, I get an email forwarded by my niece, Cally Booker, from Handwoven who want to do an article about said Newbury Coat. Fame at last!  Actually it turned out that they wanted to do an interview. So I hastily 'persuaded' Linda Scurr who organised the Newbury Coat  weekend that she needed to do the interview and returned to my grovelling emails.

I spent the afternoon sorting out the warp of a student weaver. The loom arrived with a tangled mass of cotton attached and left with a nice neat tied-on warp ready for weaving.

No textiles at all today unless I start now but I feel more like a cup of tea and a chocolate biscuit.

Last night I went with a friend to the Malvern Theatres Complex to see a High-Definition  Live Showing of an opera, The Turn of the Screw, from Glyndebourne. The screen was enormous and you really had the impression of the stage being right there. It was a fantastic production and performance. Michael thought that it was all in the governess's mind but I never thought so and last night it was played for real, as real as a ghost story can be. My friend, Joyce, was bowled over and admitted that she did not like Britten but thought last night was wonderful and has changed her mind. I must get her to Billy Budd or Peter Grimes.  I have persuaded her that she needs to go to Glyndebourne next summer!! In addition we have signed up to go to two further performances of opera done the same way, this time from the Met.

Now for that cup of tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.