Friday 26 August 2011

The Newbury Coat - Not dead yet.

I have spent a lot of this week putting together a copy of the Shuttle which is a special issue devoted to the Newbury Coat. Yesterday the text was declared (by me) to be finished and I started on the photos. This morning I got up at 5 am and finished at 10 am without a break of any sort. The photos had to be selected, cropped, adjusted, have the image  resized. In some cases, I did a Photoshop amalgamation of 3 or 4 photos on to one page, wrote text on each photo crediting the photographer. At 10 am, the postman appeared at the door and there was I still in pyjamas, unwashed, uncombed, unkempt, unbreakfasted and un-rubbish-collected. I forgot about that. The rubbish sacks  have to be on the street before 0830. Bother.  And I have a page too many. So I shovelled the responsibility onto Linda Scurr and gave her a choice of  what to eliminate.  

Add to that a request to produce artwork for a poster in short order. Well I suppose now is as good a time as any. But I have spent 6 hours with Photoshop and don't feel like sitting in front of a computer any more today.

I was thinking of going to an exhibition on Capability Brown today as light relief but it is raining hard  and rain is forecast to continue until tomorrow morning. And what is the Met Office doing predicting snow tonight? I do not feel like driving for more than an hour each way  through rain. So maybe tomorrow afternoon.

So I shall make up the cushions today. And if I have time warp up the Voyager with the high twist yarn I have. The new heddles came yesterday and I installed them. Amazing how easy and trouble-free it was without a warp on!!!!  

Yesterday I had someone in to help me clean the house. This involved me working hard in the morning getting things put away. And working hard in the afternoon as she washed her way through the kitchen cupboards, exclaiming at the number of things years past  their Best By date. She was quite triumphant when she came across a bottle with Best By 2004 on it. 

Whatever happens now, I need a rest!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.