Thursday 31 July 2014

Sheep Show at Malvern

Every year there is a Sheep Show in the UK and every second year, it is held at Malvern in the Three Counties Showground. It was held yesterday for the day and Linda Scurr arrived at 0800 hours to collect me and  we had arranged her fleeces at 0830 and were eating breakfast in the open in brilliant sunshine.
Linda eating a bacon buttie for breakfast.
Then we inspected every sheep pen. There are frightful modern-bred monstrosities which look like dogs but then there are my favorites too.

A couple of Hampshire Downs.
Most of the sheep breeds had a display of spun yarn though some of it was only good for Brillo pads. The above is Wensleydale which is good. The lady who is usually present on the Leicester Longwool stand (one of my favourites) was not there but those who were took my name and email so I have hopes. I bought some pink and white stuff two years ago which was very greasy but came up magnificently when  washed thoroughly.

One problem I did solve was that of the swift purchase. Hedgehog Equipment were at the show and had a Glimakra swift for sale. It looked exactly like the one which gave me 25 years of usage so I decided that it would probably outlast me and bought one - £48.00. So I have saved £250! Well that is one way of looking at it.

By two, we were hot and tired (it was a very hot day) so we retired to my garden which is a mile away and sat and gossiped till it was time for Linda to go back and collect her fleeces.

Today I must do some gardening but I hope to wind on the Newbury Coat warp. I have lots of plans but must finish this bit of weaving first.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.