Sunday 27 July 2014

Last Day in Åland Islands

We have had a good day, a white tailed eagle on our land scowling at the other birds fishing in the shoal, two heron, a flock of grebes on said shoal. A trip to a Russian fortress built in early 1800s was not very interesting but the suggested walk round the fortifications was. A bit up and down vertically!

I took this photo to show how shallow the soil is over the solid ground. The soil and roots have just peeled away from the rock.

And here are clumps of conifers growing in little pockets of soil.

A dressed maypole

Some of the maypole decoration

A smaller maypole. These are shown because Kirsten said they were well-known.

An orchid - not a good photo but you get the idea.

And at last, some Aland sheep, pure white, pure black and mottled.

Tomorrow we leave at 0700 hours to catch the ferry to Stockholm, then a plane to Heathrow. I will sleep at Ruth's house tomorrow night and take a train home Tuesday morning. I have yet to pack but I never spend more than fifteen minutes packing. What is in my room has to be packed or thrown out.

 

1 comment:

  1. Glad you found some! (maypoles, that is) Swe maypoles are usually a lot, hm, quieter - but where I live, we have something that might be inspired from The Åland ones - http://bergdala.blogspot.se/search/label/majst%C3%A5ng

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.