Wednesday 25 June 2014

The Garden in June

The blanket weaving on the Megado is proceeding and I should get to the halfway mark today. I spent the morning revamping the studio with the help of two friends. Trouble was that the floor was getting to be a parking place and I tripped over one of the many piles of yarn on Monday. So today everything is on a shelf that can be on a shelf. It looks really good. It is one way of discovering what you have. When and for what reason did I buy 2.5 metres of green and gold cotton? The gold is definitely metallic. It does not look like anything I would make a shirt from and I do not usually line jackets with cotton.
 
I have pruned the pear stepovers and picked the first gooseberries too. The garden is looking great and so here are some photos.
By the patio, cistus, fuschia, convolvus Maritanicus.


One of the Bourbon roses.

This is one of David Austin's New English roses. They have a lot of Bourbon blood in them but they are less prone to nodding their heads and are much healthier.

 The large white flowered thing in the right background is the climbing rose Pleine de Grace. It was pruned back last year. What you see is one season's growth! When it gets twice as high, in three years, we will prune it back again. It is already 20 years old and has a really thick stem. The forest just to the left of Pleine de Grace is four hollyhock plants from last year. The dark pink and white ones are out and the black one is on its way. I have nine seedling plants from the black hollyhock of last year. I don't suppose they will be black, genetics being what it is, but I can hope.
 
Tomorrow I am off for two days with the Society of Bookbinders who are having a residential meet at the Agricultural College in Circencester. Lots of first rate demonstrations of how to do bookbinding and a vendor's exhibition.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.