Saturday 28 June 2014

Seminars

This two day event is called Seminars. Basically someone talk/demonstrates for 75 minutes with a live video camera relay. The operator is very good and zooms at the interesting bits. And do you know what a 'leafcaster' is? It is a large piece of machinery for repairing pages which have holes in them. The pages she demonstrated on had been a good meal for something! But I am unlikely to ever want one of these. Another session was on binding a Lever Arch file in leather to look like an old leather book. Cannot think why I would ever want to do that but apparently the National Trust does.

The third one was much more useful, about repairing the corners of books when they have disintegrated. Five methods, very useful. The rest of the day was spent spending too much money. There is a Vendors Hall here full of lovely stuff. So what did I get?

- Two sheets of high class marbled paper for using on my two volumes of Mallory

- Several small tools

- Some handmade paper

- some treated cotton fabric for using with an Inkjet printer!! I asked a lot of questions about this. The stall holders were adamant that you could print out a coloured photo on it and it would look great. So I bought ten sheets of A3 for £12.50 which is much cheaper than ArtvanGo and I do not have to iron it.

- Some spray waterproofing for book covers. I have always wondered about finding something like this.

- A textblock of Donne's poems illustrated. This is rather special and from a private press. For me to bind and gloat over. Expensive.

If that were not enough, there was an auction in the evening at which I acquired a book I have on my Amazon Wishlist but could not afford, more handmade paper and a roll of ten sheets of endpapers from modern German designers.

There is a Silent Auction today which I have contributed to but do not intend to buy. But I will go and inspect!

In the Vendors Hall, the most prominent thing is three suppliers selling leather skins and lots of people poring over the tables.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.