Saturday 14 June 2014

Antwerp

Yes, I am in Antwerp. Anne and I organised this weekend long ago, before there was any thought of Chicago and FLW. We are staying in an apartment not far from the railway station and high up above a street full of cafés and bars. Which is important because they were dancing in the street last night. The Netherlands beat Spain 5-1 in the World Cup and there was rejoicing throughout the city. We noticed that there were large numbers of orange T-shirts around yesterday afternoon.

The main square in Antwerp.

The display in a chocolate shop.we are returning there on Sunday to buy presents. Anne thinks her husband would appreciate a box of chocolates flavoured with Havana tobacco or curry. Actually Anne is clearly in shopping mode. We went round some designer shops and Anne tried on a suit. I find it difficult to contemplate paying £700 for a pair of black trousers, nice though they were. But Anne did buy two dresses and a jacket from another designer boutique where the prices were more reasonable.

Dinner in an Indonesian place round the corner from our apartment, shown above.

I do have some weaving to report. I decided the next item would use up the handspun I inject dyed a few weeks ago as well as lots of my stash. I have wound about half the warp which will be striped but the weft will be plain beige as only natural dyeing can achieve. I have been asked how much more yarn I need for the small Newbury Coat and decided that I would do better to wind the warp with what I have. So that will be Monday's job.

It is another gorgeous day and we are off out soon. Neither of us have brought hot weather clothes so there may be some T-shirt purchases.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.