Friday 20 June 2014

CyanoPrinting

Yesterday I prepared the cotton for cyano printing. This morning it had some marks where it was crumpled up. I could not lay it out flat without light reaching it. I think it would have to be done after dark and put to dry inside the house with all lights off and curtains drawn. I started working on it at 0830 because the forecast is rain later. It worked but - - . Because the sun moves, the shorter a time it is exposed the better. This means about 10 minutes. I used stencils and the first trials did not work for two reasons. I left them for 30 minutes and the sun moved so the edges were blurred and secondly the stencils were not pressed down hard against the cloth. The second lot worked much better because I taped the stencils to a sheet of Perspex first and laid that on the cloth. But it was marred by marks from not drying the cloth laid flat in the dark. And the last one worked best of all.

It is still wet and unironed. You can see purple marks from the crumpled areas at the bottom.
 
In the meantime, I have started on rebinding a paperback of Edward Lear's Nonsense poems and have selected the cover (from a 1920s linen tablecloth) and prepared a sheet of JetFx with the title and spine on it. These I created in Photoshop.

1 comment:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.