Wednesday 18 June 2014

PS The Garden

My black eye got more and more spectacular during the morning but is now fading. That did not stop me gardening and I planted out, potted up and inspected. A really big disappointment is that none of my calladiums came up. On today's inspection, they were all rotten. However the garden is flourishing.
This is a herbaceous paeony, Beauty of Bath, very definitely blousy and opulent and the blooms will not last long.

Please note the change of font to Georgia. I borrowed a book, Just My Type, from my son-in -law, Robin, to read in the USA and made lots of notes. I dislike Arial and Courier intensely. People say they are easy to read. My view is that elegance is equally important and anyway who says they are easiest to read - the software manufacturers who want an easy (=cheap) life. There is no point in arguing with me about this. Actually I like TRAJAN best but it has no lower case which is a pity. But Robin's book says there is a font based on TRAJAN which does have lower case. I have a note in Outlook listing all the fonts I think are worth looking at. I note that the author approves of the specials I use at the moment, Old Caslon and Plantin. If I had another life, I would devote it to letterpress.

Returning to the reason for using Georgia, Google blogger only offers seven fonts

Arial
Courier
Georgia
Helvetica
Times
Trebuchet
Verdana.

Photoshop, on the other hand, offers lots and I have loaded in more. Experiments are needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.