Thursday 28 August 2014

Trees

In the garden there is the biggest albrizzia I have ever seen and it is flowering madly. But it flowers at the top of the tree and I cannot get a shot of it in enough detail. I first met one , well lots actually, growing wild in Tenessee and then in the south of France. They look a lot like mimosa in the leaf but the flowers are pink and white and feathery and grow in tight bunches of lots. I looked them up many years ago and persuaded Michael that my continued good health depended critically on having one of these. So we replanned the garden to plant it in a very warm place. Then I rang up the only firm in Britain who offered them for sale. I was sharply cross examined by the grower who ended up by refusing to sell me one. His argument was that only once in twenty years did it get hot enough in the Midlands for it to flower properly and I would just be very disappointed. I was quite cross and asked him who in the UK he did sell to. The reply was Cornwall Devon and the Scilly Isles and people with very large heated conservatories. Oh well. So for two weeks I have one close by and I gloat over it at least twice a day.

Yesterday was very hot and I refused to go shopping in the nearest town. Instead I spent a lot of time with iWeaveit and produced lots of drafts.

And a variant of draft published by Tien Chiu

These are all just practise and I have even managed to work out how to get a screen shot.

You might wonder what happens about feeding twelve people. The answer is a great deal of work and it has been my turn recently. Peeling potatoes for twelve is time consuming and tagliatelle has been substituted. In addition the dish washer is iffy. Never mind, home on Sunday!!

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.