Friday 15 August 2014

On My Way (Again)

I left Malvern this morning for the delights of the South of France. We leave St Pancras on Saturday morning early on the Eurostar, rush across Paris in taxis and catch the TGV to Nimes. When I say 'we', I mean eleven of the party. Ruth has rented a big house, for the third time. The decor is astounding and I shall enjoy posting a photo every day. There are more people but they are flying to Marseille. The house is very large and has a pool, tennis courts, outdoor table tennis and more outside tables and chairs than is decent.

I am feeling slightly put upon and wonder if I would not rather stay at home but have decided to spend the fortnight sitting by the pool with my kir royal and an open notebook and do a bit of thinking. I have brought a print out of the iWeaveit manual and propose to practise on my iPad. There are one or two problems bothering me and I may write them down in detail hoping that the act of putting things into words will show me the way to go.

Otherwise there will be lots to do and a variety of people to do it with. We have three rented cars to allow for a changing set of groups doing things . Anne has posted a list of 17 different excursions which has elicited raspberries because it does not allow for pool time or walking round the town to buy cakes time.

Before I left, I had warped up the hana-ori and threaded the Megado. I have started sleying so it is all ready for me I get back. No more trips abroad until next April when I go to Genoa and Turin for four days. I am trying to stay at home next Summer. There are lots of lovely things to do. I fancy Art in Action and the Cheltennham Music Festival. Dorothy and I have plans to go to Skye together and we are thinking of the Edinburgh Festival. When we were young, the Festival was very new and we acted as usherettes at concerts, showed people to their seats, sold programs. And of course watched the performance for free. I saw MArgot Fonteyn and Robert Helpmann do Midsummer Nights Dream and Victoria de Los , Angelos in a solo concert. She changed her dress three times. The last one got the audience to its feet!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.