Sunday 24 August 2014

Sunday

Yesterday at Aigues-Mortes, there was a stall selling books with interesting wooden covers with leather spines and wraparound catches. Naturally I had to have one.

The covers consist of two stout pieces of wood with a pattern cut through the top one and the one below dyed a different colour.

Here is the back. Will I ever use it? Probably not but I can put it on my book shelves and admire it.
Today Ruth, Robin and I went to Barbegal. 'The greatest technology complex in the Roman world' and there were only three or four people there. It consists of an aqueduct which split into two at the top of steep hill and fed two lines of water mills down the hill, eight on each side. They could grind enough flour to feed 10,000 people throughout the year.
This shows the bases of four of the mills on either side. You can see how steep the drop is.
And this is looking the other way, at the aqueduct which supplied the water.

And here is a drawing of what it must have looked like. Drawing from www.waterhistory.org. On the way back we looked at the Abbey of Montmajor, having eaten half a baguette full of merguez which I love. Interestingly merguez are Spanish and in Spain they are far less spicy than in the south of France. Me, I like the French version.

There is talk of going to the seaside tomorrow. Not me. I have never been enthusiastic about sitting for hours on a beach. I shall stay here and try to get to grips with iWeaveit.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.