Wednesday 6 August 2014

Designer Bookbinders Exhibition

I went up to London yesterday (Tuesday) to visit the Designer Bookbinders annual exhibition in  St Bride's Foundation off Fleet Street. Stunning but not easy to photograph because everything was behind glass.
The under layer is vellum painted with watercolours and the red leather on  top has been cut away.
 

In this one, the leather has been coloured and painted.



The orangey coloured stuff is a painted underlayer of leather. There were 59 bindings and 40% of them were from the USA. Quite amazing. I feel I should go away and not mention my bookbinding ever again.
I walked back to Waterloo Station over Blackfriars bridge with life bustling up and down the river. Note the London eye.

In the afternoon we walked round to the Savile Gardens - about 45 minutes and here we are having a posh tea in the café. Shown are Ruth, my daughter, and her daughter, Charlotte, who has just got a good degree from Reading University and is going to work for BP in September. We are all very proud of her. Note the scones with clotted cream and jam. None of us wanted any supper.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.