Saturday 9 August 2014

A Happy (Bookbinding) Bunny

I have been to a bookbinding class all day - run by Anna Yevtuka who is highly organised. So we not only made a book using the Secret Belgian Binding but did a surprise at the end. First though the name. The binding is clearly a relative of Coptic binding and dates from the early Middle Ages. It was very popular in Flanders, hence the Belgian. The Secret is that the method got lost until someone recently decided to investigate and worked out how it was done. 

The cover is made in three pieces, front, back and spine. Holes, like a Coptic binding, are punched into the covers and the three parts sewn together. Note that there is no text block in the photo above. You then lace the text block into the covers.
 

The chief difference is that the spine is now protected which it is not in a Coptic Book. The covers are of paste paper made by the tutor but we started the day by making paste papers of our own. These were not dry enough to use for this binding but they were by what should have been the end of the day and I used one to cover a Reverse Stab Binding.

This is it with my paste paper on the covers.

And this shows the inside. The stab binding/Japanese style I have always used has the hinge near the spine but on the outside with the stitching showing. This Reverse Binding has the hinge actually on the spine and the stitching is inside. I can see that this will be a real asset. Don't be surprised to see samples very soon.

So as I said, a very happy bunny.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.