Saturday 16 August 2014

First Day

Yesterday I found our hotel was round the corner from St Pancras.

Which looks like this. And inside it looks like that too. The ticket booths have Gothic arches in brick and stained glass windows. Further along the street is the British library.

I looked at their exhibition of 'Treasures of the British Library' which is full of just that. Chinese scrolls, Coptic scrolls, illuminated manuscripts, Mughal miniatures, Books of Hours. That took me quite a while. They seem to have some software which gives you access to books and you turn the pages one by one. Then I wandered upstairs to see the reading rooms.

You can see through the glass windows to the row upon row of books behind.

And here are people working. Lots of desks. Everyone has a laptop or similar. But you need a reader's ticket to access the books.

And at the end a shop full of books about books. I found three which I would have bought if this had been a day trip to London. So I noted down their titles and authors and checked them out in amazon, added them to my Wishlist. And told the family to consult it.

And this is the family standing in St Pancras station just about to go through security and passport control. You go through French passport control here. And now we are on our way. We are just about to go into the Eurotunnel.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.