Wednesday 5 June 2013

Travelling East

Now that I have come to terms with the fact that there is a) no Wifi, b) no GoSim coverage, c) no access to Google in China anyway, I have decided to continue writing a blog and uploading as and when - which might be in the UK.

So yesterday we were driven over 600 km from Kashgar to Hetian, taking in a knife place on the way. Waste of time as there was nothing to do except buy some very blunt pen knives. I rather fancied the cleaver but security would have a fit so I bought nothing. We were told the journey would take six hours. In fact we left at 10am and arrived at 0930 pm. This is typical of everything we get told. We were taken to have dinner first and I will grant that it was excellent.

My problem at the moment is that I cannot see why I bothered coming. So we have driven round the southern edge of the Taklamat desert which was the Southern Silk Route but we have been
told nothing and seen less. Only desert for 600 km. Uzbekistan and Georgia were great and I am glad I saw them. The guides there were great as well as the architecture and both guides emphasised the bits that were relevant to the Silk Route. I do not believe our current guide has ever mentioned the Silk Route.

Today we are said to be visiting a silk factory and a jade factory. Oh well, only two weeks till I go home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.