Monday 10 June 2013

Back to normal - more or less

Yesterday I went into London to the Royal Academy's Summer Exhibition. I have not attended it for about 40 years and it has changed a bit. It has not got as many sentimental watercolour landscapes as I expected but the styles are very mixed which takes a bit of getting used to. I rather like quite a few of the prints but laid off buying them as I have enough stuff on the walls already. Then Ruth and I went to the Queen's Gallery and saw an exhibition of paintings 1550 to 1700 which were chosen to illustrate changes in fashion. The conversation went, 'OMG, that's here?' as we inspected van Dykes and Rembrandts.

I did manage to do a bit of textile work. Before I went off to Central Asia, I wove two bags in double weave. On Saturday I tidied these up and lined them with cotton which I printed some time ago.

Another view

The second bag.

I am still suffering from jet lag so I am up early. When it is light enough, I will take photos of the fabrics I have brought back and post them. One big shock was experienced at Anne's on Saturday. I had been told that a rug had arrived with her and assumed it was the Turkish one but no, it is the Bokhara silk rug which is just as gorgeous as I remember. It arrived a week after I bought it. Now it is six weeks since I bought the Turkish one, so where is it ?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.