Yesterday was monoprinting day at Bourneville. I have used this method before when doing City and guilds in Creative Sketchbooks but that was on to paper. I was never very smitten with it. However Annette Lucas (the Bournville tutor) is first rate and produced lots of samples on fabrics ranging from felt to calico to organza and with a variety of paints. Several of the class had come with the intention of getting on with their piece of wearable (including me). Instead we all mono-printed and had a great time. We used acrylic paints and a textile medium. The purple and black in the photo is felt and it took the paint really well. One interesting fact is that it hardly alters the handle of the fabric. I can see this being used for book covers.
When I got home and displayed the results to Michael, he was very taken with the method and has sent for a tub of textile medium. We don't have any shortage of acrylic paints in this house!!
I did do a little work on my wearable art which is going to be a loose waistcoat with calladium leaves in Mola work on the fronts and the back. The photo on the left shows the back shape. The front is three much smaller leaves in a vertical row. I have space-dyed some silk velvet and am using that as well as odd bits of printed cotton from the stash. So I pinned all the layers together yesterday and intend to sew them up before the next class.
Everything is ready for the bookbinding class tomorrow except the book guide which needs a final coat of varnish.
And Ruth has arrived from Kuala Lumpur for the weekend so must go and talk to her.
Post a Comment