Thursday 11 November 2010

I have pasted the last few fabrics onto paper for next Sunday except that the arabesques (lower right) is for a cased-in book for me and will not be going to the class! 

I have started on making a book guide, wood sawed up and sanded, first pieces glued and clamped. I have been meaning to make one of these for about a year and I am glad I have got round to it. It does make things easier.

I went to the bookbinding class yesterday and continued with paring bits of leather - and not making a good job of it. These are only practice pieces but all the same - - the level is terrible. I was sitting there gloomily wondering what to do about it all. So much effort (three weeks worth) and nothing to
show for it. And even if the leather was alright, I still have to do the tooling for the title and author. Then a Eureka moment. If I were to dye some calico black and red and use a discharge process or possibly wax, I could get back to a a shape in white on black and then I could have a Thermofax made with lettering in Photoshop andscreen print the title and author. The graphics on the left are a first stab at seeing what it might look like. 

Michael thinks the font for the title is awful. I don't (AND IT'S MY BOOK) so it stands. To start with, I will space dye some calico in black and red and  try a discharge process.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.