Wednesday 17 November 2010

Progress on Most Fronts

I have been busy since the last post. Putting everything away after Sunday's class, weaving on the Megado, continuing to rethread the Louet Kombo and fighting with Michael's firm of carers who are being unhelpful. Oh well.

When Ruth, No 1 daughter, was here over the weekend, she admired the Megado's warp from the back and then moved round to the front and admired the fabric even more. The upshot is that it will be made into cushion covers and  given to her for Christmas. I am quite pleased about this because I could not think what I would do with it. There is not enough for a jacket and, in any case, the next warp is for a jacket. I will use a matching plain fabric for the backs of the cushions and should get four cushion covers out of the length. The ghost warp has come into view on the Megado and the next weaving session will see it through the heddles. I left long tails on the knots but I don't think I can rely on getting them cleanly through the heddles and reed so intend to cut them short as late as possible. What this implies is that it is time I started planning the next Megado warp. The yarn is all sitting on the office desk and I have decided in principle what to do but need to sit down and do some sums to make sure I have enough of everything. Then it is space dyeing warps with acid dyes. Did I say I was going to use the design I generated at the Creative Development course in October? Did I also say that Samantha is running another course next September and that my sister, Dorothy, and I have signed up for it already.

We have also signed up with Committed to Cloth for a 5-day course on screen printing fabrics. That is late October 2011.

The Kombo rethreading is now about half done.

I have also spent (wasted) 24 hours with some bug. Since Michael had it and so had our son-in-law, we think this is a family gift. Not at all serious.

This morning Michael and I did a session with mono-printing using acrylic paint and paper. Discovered all sorts of useful facts. Absorbent paper is better than cartridge paper. Flow System acrylics are better than ordinary ones which dry too fast.  Michael has not exhausted the possibilities of paper yet but I have and shall go back to fabric tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.