Wednesday 14 July 2010

More on Haiku

Later on Wednesday 14th July (Vive La Republique)

It seems like morning glories were a popular topic for haiku. Various kind readers have sent me haikus but Michael has found what I was looking for


The morning glory!
It has taken the well bucket,
I must seek elsewhere for water. . 


This is by Chiyo-ni, a famous lady poet who lived from 1701 to 1775. Find a lot of her poems here.

Why do I find these short poems attractive? Economy of means?  Imagine what that poem means. I go out to fetch water from the well in the morning and a morning glory is in full flower twined round the bucket. So I say Bother and wonder if I can use the neighbour's well rather than destroy the flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.