Friday 30 July 2010

Birds and Caladium Leaves and - - -

I have sewn in all the ends and zigzag stitched in the spacer weaving between pieces and cut them up. Above is Fancies II which is going to the EXOTICA Exhibition at Birmingham Botanic Gardens - see poster. Do come along.




















 And this is Caladium Leaves II. Mind you I think I might like Caladium Leaves III better which has only a dark green weft, (see below) but II has been entered for EXOTICA so that's that.






































 Here is a photo of both sides of the networking drafting done with pale yellow weft and below is with a dark blue weft. An interesting colour point is that, in the yellow weave, the dark maroon warp looks a nice chocolate brown.












I rather like this one. It would make a good upholstery cloth.

Now I have several pieces of cloth. What am I to do with them? The Kennet Valley Guild  has a thing called 'Rosie's Challenge' which happens every three months. A topic is set and everyone who who can enters their response - knitters, spinners, felt makers, lace makers, braiders and weavers. We have had Kandinsky, Fire (June 2010), anything recycled, Teatime. That produced cake stands full of knitted Battenberg cake and knitted salmon sandwiches decorated with knitted hardboiled egg. Anyway the next challenge is a bag for the September meeting. For some time, I have thought that a bag looped over each end of the Megado's stool would be a good idea for parking loaded shuttles in. I have dug out a book (100 bags and purses) and found a pattern for a bucket bag so this fabric is about to be made up into something useful. Need to hunt for a lining but I am sure I have something upstairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.