Friday 9 July 2010

Back to Textiles - and Bookbinding

I went round to the College today to see the Annual Exhibition. The drawing class either has a talented tutor or a talented class or possibly both. I was very taken with their work. There was stained glass, thrown pottery, constructed pottery, mixed media and, of course, the book binding class. Here on the right is a lovely book with Pop-up fans and a wrap around cover in black lined with red. The whole goes into the black slipcase on the extreme right.






Two books bound in leather with inlay. The left one is Robinson Crusoe, hence the bare foot on the slip case and the island on the front of the book itself. On the right is The Screwtape Letters, again with its own slip case.








S
Some very decorative pamplets.

















On the right is a repaired leather binding and, on the left, my two contributions, Alice and the Coptic book with enamels on it.
All very creditable.

I have every intention of doing a lot of Japanese-style books over the summer and will get round to it.









And now to weaving. This is the fabric for the devore scarf on the loom with the sample shown as well. The loom fabric has a weft of yellow merino plus Hunter's Green Tencel. It has not darkened the cloth very much  but then the Tencel is one third of the total yarn so changing its colour will only change the overall effect a little. Still it is better.  I have woven up most of it and hope to complete today.

I have just been reading the Convergence 2010 Gallery Guild and discussing the entries merits/demerits over the phone with my sister Dorothy.  As she said,'Isn't it amazing that two of us who are not going to Converge can read this guide on line and discuss it'. 

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely exhibition. You and your colleagues can be very proud of your work

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.