Wednesday 14 May 2014

Second Day in Santiago

Today we had a conducted tour of Santiago finishing up in the market which was great.

Meat and cheeses.

Fish

And veg and veg seedlings.

This was followed by a tapas lunch which took place in two bars, one for fish and one for meat and cheeses. Everything was delicious. Later in the day, Ruth and I returned to the second bar because it was a sort of deli and bought lots of things to take home. After lunch we followed the Spanish custom and had a siesta. Well all the shops are shut between 2 and 5.15pm. At four we went round to the Cathedral and joined a tour of the Cathedral roofs. We had seen people waving at us from the balustrade and assumed that was it. Not a bit of it. We walked on the roofs.

Not that easy, in places a bit frightening. But the views were good.

After that we went to the Cathedral Museum. We were able to walk past crumbling carvings and pillars with ease! We headed for the library which had glass fronted bookcases on all four walls, 18th century I guess. On top were ornamental urns with coloured flowers in them. Very attractive. There was also a display of some of their earliest manuscripts, with illuminated letters.

There were some textiles, mostly 14th century and later. There was a piece of linen embroidered with tigers and giraffes from the 11th century and some fragments of silk damask of the same age. No photos allowed of course. So we inspected the tapestries. Some from cartoons by Rubens, Teniers and Goya. Goya is not improved by being turned into tapestries, you can keep Rubens and the Teniers was very jolly with tapestries of partying at inns. After that we went shopping. Do you realise that,apart from the occasional euro spent on tea, no money was spent at all since we started the Camino. So we bought some books, some preserves, sardines in tins, chocolate and some very nice jewellery to make up for lost shopping therapy.

And just to round things off

this is my Compostela which says I have walked the Camino Compostela.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.