Sunday 18 May 2014

A Nice Day Out

Yesterday I gave a talk to Hampshire Guild and, since it meets in Winchester and does not start until lunchtime, I left home early and went to Hilliers Gardens. Michael was a great fan of Hilliers when they ran their own nursery. They issued a catalogue (not a photo in sight) but he knew that, if you wrote to them, they might have that special plant which did not appear in the catalogue. The gardens now belong to Hampshire County Council and they are making a good job of upkeep. Lots of people there and the cafe is good. I recommend a visit.
This is the Centenary Border, just starting to be colourful. It must be magnificent in July/August. They had a big planting of Paeonies but the tree peonies were over and the herbaceous ones were just showing colour. I would say they were a week ahead of Malvern.
There were a number of sculptures for sale dotted round the garden, mostly bronzes and rather good. However I was taken with the one above. Called 'Cocoon', it is about two foot across. No other sculpture was suspended from a tree!

The talk went off without calamity. They asked loads of questions and were very interested. I was dubious about the actual demo because how do you demo to 40 odd people? Well they had the solution. Drag the table into the middle of the room and rearrange the chairs so they formed a wide oval. And everyone could see. I hope I have encouraged them to rush home and try acid dyeing for themselves. To tell the truth, it was all rather enjoyable. They are a very friendly bunch.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.