Wednesday 7 May 2014

Madrid to Sarria

We were bussed from Madrid to Sarria which is 500 km. Time to get to know the rest of the party. There are eleven of us, two Mexicans, four Americans, three Canadians and Ruth and myself. We stopped a couple of times on the way, the second time to eat Spanish Cocida Maragate which consists of boiling up all the meat you have got plus chickpeas, cabbage and potatoes. You eat the meat first, then the veg, then the soup! Our meat was pork, ham, beef and chicken with some very nice sausages which were the best bit.

 

Dessert was a custard served with lots of cinnamon and Marie biscuits! Nice.

We travelled over mountains a lot. And I was alarmed when we entered Galicia in the middle of the mountains. Can I walk over this lot? At the to of the pass we stopped at a tiny village to see an ancient house

Thatched with rye straw and the animals live downstairs and the family upstairs. It is so cold and wet that rye is all that will grow.

We are staying in an ancient house with stone walls two foot thick. It is not warm inside! Although it is very pleasant outside. Off to have breakfast and definitely terrified. What have I done this time?

 

2 comments:

  1. You'll be fine! Dress in layers, carry an umbrella...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this little house! Never knew that they had hobbits in Spain too.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.