Monday 5 May 2014

Madrid Monday

As promised we went to the Prado which was very large and a bit startling. Yes they have Goyas, Velaquezs, El Grecos. What no one mentions is that the Prado has several rooms devoted to each of these. Not to mention the Durer's and the Fra Angelico. So this all took several hours. Goya is different from the rest is that he did different styles at different times in his life. Still life's of dead chickens, very fine portraits and religious works. I still think May 5th is best - but I would not want to live with it. I am confirmed in my opinion of Velasquez. Court painter or not. One really funny painting is a life sized one of the Infante on a rearing horse. Only thing is, if you look carefully, the rearing horse is actually a rather tubby pony. Looking just like a Thelwell cartoon.

After a sojourn in the cafe, we walked over to the park which was lovely.

Very strangely pruned cypresses.

The crystal palace which is being used for an exhibition titled The Grand Hotel. So inside it had a very large Turkish carpet and lots of lovely rocking chairs with a book to read at each chair and the viewers loved it.

The book consists of a number of modern novels, each in a different language, and bound together into a fat novel which had then been distressed.

And there a lake with boaters surrounded by cafés. Five minutes after this we were drinking Summer Wine which is a light red wine with ice and soda water and slices of lemon. As Madrid closes down from 2 to 5 , we retired and went out again at five, to see the old town and have supper. We need to pack now as we are off north tomorrow at 0830.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.