Friday 19 October 2012

Tree Felling

Yesterday a tree was taken out in the garden. Here is the tree felling in progress. What is not clear from this photo is that suddenly we have a view of the Malvern Hills from the house - and also we can see the lower half of the garden. This tree was a 'dwarf conifer' planted when we came into the house 29 years ago.  It must have been all of 18 inches high. It had grown into a thick bushy large conifer - along with its neighbour which was removed last spring. I intend to plant a birch tree in their place. I can only imagine that the definition of 'dwarf conifer' is 'not a Western Hemlock'. We already have a monster conifer in the corner of the garden which is all of 60 ft high (probably more than 100 years old) and we planted a Picea Breweriana (Brewer's weeping spruce) 29 years which is coming along nicely - but is at the edge of the garden. But these things were in the middle of the garden! When the debris has been cleared away, I will post a photo of the new view.

Yesterday was spent getting ready for today - and the weekend at Wokefield Park. It is Kennet Valley Guild's residential weekend just south of Reading. Four high class tutors, the meeting rooms are spacious and well-lit, there is a heated indoor pool and in addition my Burmese friend is dropping by on Sunday and I am taking a four foot stack of Michael's viol music to a new home in Oxford. Mind you, I had to prepare for Bournville which has meant creating a new book all bar the stitching which is to be demonstrated this morning and because the cover fabric took two days to dry, I rose at 6am this morning to assemble the covers. That's all done.

RE my last post. I am still wondering if I should take a class in lino cutting from Lisa Hooper. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.