Wednesday 2 February 2011

Connected Again

We have been without telephones since Sunday. Some one tried to steal the telephone cables, failed but managed to cut through the cables so they have had to be replaced. Much use of mobiles - except that neither of ours had much money on them and I was driving round yesterday evening trying to find a machine to sell me a top-up. Ended up in Waitrose.
.
This is the final version, all assembled See previous photo here.. I have thrown out two of the separate motifs. I have done as required by the tutor - that is, develop one of the sample pieces. But nothing further is going to happen to it.

I have decorated another calico bag using a design which I am considering for a waistcoat. Not quite sure of it yet.







I printed this off using an Indian woodblock bought from Rayna Gillman. I like it but am not sure what to do with it - probably a sample. I need to think about this carefully.














And the cover for A Christmas Carol is at long last done. This is front. back and spine. The colour and ghost shape were done using transfer dyes and then the text screen printed on.  I must finish off this book. It has been around for too long.



This is the lamb's wool scarf in lace, all fringed and washed. There was not much shrinkage, because I had dyed it. This is part of my on-going attempt to take better photos by doing photography just outside the front door. The colour has come out well. This is directly opposite the front door so I can retire down the corridor  and get some distance away.

The double weave Tencel  warp is wound on to the Kombo and ready to be threaded. This is going to be a concertina book. Originally I was going to put the text on using Thermofax screens but I am not sure of that now. The cover for Christmas Carol worked because the lettering is quite large but I don't want the text on this new book to be that large and I don't think it will print clearly if I make the font much smaller.  My sister Dorothy says embroider it!!! Hmmpphh! Can I manage that?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.