I am slowly progressing with my new Day Book. Today I sewed all the sections together and it is in the press. I had intended to cover it in some fabric showing beach huts but came across this while looking for a piece of fabric with stars on it to send to my sister, Dorothy. The piece on the left was designed and sized for an A4 book so I will use it. The leaves go up the spine. It is a very substantial book and I am wondering if 2mm greyboard will be stout enough.
I have been experimenting with over dyeing. I took the piece of calico which I had printed with a paisley pattern wood block and tore it in half. Then one half was dyed with rust-orange Procion MX and the other half had transfer dyes ironed on. No real surprises. Both worked and you can still see the original printed patterns. I suspect it work as well if I reversed the order. I quite like the transfer dyes although it takes a long time to iron. I have ruined the cover on my ironing board by not being careful enough - it has become quite multi-coloured.
I prepared a small lino cut yesterday (3 inches square) and printed it this morning. I do not get on so well with such a small piece. Does not seem to print so well. I did try it on paper with printing ink and on fabric with acrylic paint textile medium. The fabric works okay but I was using heavily textured fabric and the red looks quite pale pink because the paint only sits on the highest threads. Interesting though. I must try on a smoother fabric like calico. The next lesson has come and I must read it this evening.