Friday 4 February 2011

Bournville Course Today

I had this idea of doing a waistcoat with an Art Deco feel to it and decided to try out the design on a calico shopper first. Here it is. I unstitched the sides and laid it out flat, then applied the brown velvet shapes and the gold cord. The problem is the concentric circles and how to attach them. I am not keen on Bondaweb as a permanent attachment method in clothes. It is okay as a method of holding pieces together while machining is happening. But I find it difficult to control the sewing machine on such tiny circles. I want a 'clean' appearance and don't really want any stitching to show. These circles are all held on with hand stitches but they are not invisible. 
Options for the waistcoat are
1) to use a wool fabric as a basis and needle felt circles on. Hairy felt does not seem Art Deco-ish to me.
2) to print circles on and over print if necessary.  This strikes me as possible and within my capabilities

3) Abandon the idea altogether.

I  will consider this over next week.

I need to spend a halfday dyeing next week. Indigo bath for Guild Exhibition cushions, dyeing the last of the wool/silk yarn violet and seeing whether a wood block print using acrylic paint can be overdyed with Procion. The last is easy and I might do it on Sunday.

Have I said we (Michael and myself) are doing a linocut course through the web? I did some when I did City and Guilds in Creative Sketchbook but it was very cursory and I only spent a day on it. This is a good course and we are very pleased with the prints. I have cut out a caladium leaf (what else!!) and will print it soon. The tutor is really into printing on fabric but so far we have only printed on paper

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.