Wednesday 16 February 2011

Morning Glory Title Page

The ink came yesterday and I started generating the final pages for the Morning Glory book. Here is the title page where the Kanji characters in the cartouche say 'Morning Glory'.  This cartouche will also be used on the cover.

It takes me a long time to do all the layering needed in Photoshop. I could finish it today.

We are so taken with this book that we had a great discussion about another book. I want to do a book on the Border ballad  'Sir Patrick Spens' but Michael says he is not competent to do the graphics - not his style. I have been mulling over this for some months and have realised ,as a result of the discussion with Michael, that I see the graphics as being black and white and why not do linocuts? I am thinking about it.

However I did make a suggestion which he is acting on - he will paint one item (flower, leaf, plant) from our garden for each month of the year. I am not sure about the text. Maybe between us, we can find some suitable quotations which would be printed on the opposite page. In 'Morning Glory, a painting and the text are on the same page and a pen and ink drawing on the  opposite page with details of the writer of the text. Yesterday afternoon I went out (in the rain) and and took close up photos of cyclamen (see below) and snowdrops and maple bark. The big leaf in the foreground is about an inch across































I have done a bout of lino-cut printing this morning and am quite pleased with the results.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.