Friday 6 August 2010

Japanese Style Books (4)

The last two Japanese style books. I created some graphics based on plum blossom and printed them on labels to do a proper style of label. The idea is that you write the title in your best calligraphic hand on the blank part of the label.  The book at the top left is covered in cotton fabric with red Canson Ingres inside . The book itself is various handmade papers. The lower right one is paper - I know not where it came from but the sheet was a very odd size.









Inside the cover is a very nice red-brown paper with small sprays of flowers - again no idea where it came from.
I had a collection yesterday and located as much paper as possible but I am still missing some. Where for instance, is the paper which is an old map of Virginia? A precious piece did surface after several years of being missing. That was bought in a wonderful shop in den Haag and has rows of cocktail glasses on it. - nearly full size. I am waiting for the perfect book to use that - not a recipe book. A travel journal for a visit to New York? 

 I have not mentioned the garden for some time. It has been getting on with things - like the biggest crop of soft fruit since we moved in here and a huge of crop of pears on the way. These are now wrapped up against the birds/squirrels. They can have the cobnuts but not the pears or red currants. The fuschias have been very good this year and the hibiscus is doing very well. This is only half-hardy and so is tucked into a south facing corner. Despite the very cold winter, it is doing well. It is quite a young plant - we had flowers on it last year for the first time. As you can see, it is thriving.

A close up is below. Lots more flowers to come








No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.