Friday 13 August 2010

Books

I have read two interesting books recently.

The first is 'The Art of the Islamic Garden' by Emma Clark (ISBN 978 1 84797 204 0). I expected this to be a historical description plus quotations, plans and pictures. To a certain extent it is although there is far too heavy a reliance on the gardens of Alhambra. But mostly it is about designing an Islamic garden for the UK and in particular the Prince of Wales's garden. I don't particularly want to do that.  The whole book feels not quite right  somehow but I can't identify what I find disturbing. It is well written and has lots of quotes and photos.   I'd have thought this was a minority interest.

The second is 'Doubleweave' by Jennifer Moore which has just been published by Interweave (ISBN 978-1-59668-179-8). I can wholeheartedly recommend this book. She does concentrate on floor looms with treadles but what she has to say is clear and well illustrated, lots of close-up photos of woven examples. The book contains a number of projects which would be very useful if you were starting out on double weave. I gave up trying to design calladium leaves in double weave but, because of her explanations, I am encouraged to try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.