Saturday 21 August 2010

Even More Amazing

Above are a few samples from the class (9 in all) tutored by Rayna Gillman at the Festival of Quilts. A deal of screen printing, creating our own screens, stamping, painting. The crucial point is that lots of different techniques are used on one piece of fabric so there is a layering effect.
Here a few pieces by my sister, Dorothy.
Finally a load by me. The one at the top right has been painted with gold paint, as has the stencilled fish at the bottom right. I will be ironing all my pieces today to set them and will post pictures of a few then. I must have about 10 pieces of fabric - but I gave three or four to Dorothy because she likes spares to practise on. Everyone have produced a similar kind of number.
Rayna is a 'Show' teacher, that is, you get to see what she means rather than being told in words. She is the kind of teacher who appears at your elbow when you have just decided you don't know what to do next. And there were great class discussions on single works.

Friday I went to two lectures, viewed the quilts and did a little shopping, bought a lot of paper! But gave up at 1530 and went home through some bad traffic and sat around till betime telling Michael all about the week.

I never even unpacked last night so that is today's job. In fact a general clean up is required.

Oh and we are going to a party today.

1 comment:

  1. You two have clearly been having too much fun. I'm looking forward to seeing some of the results in person. I love the fish, and I am intrigued by what looks like saltires-over-labyrinths.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.