Sunday 6 June 2010

Quilting Show at Hanley Swan

Yesterday Ruth and I nipped out to Hanley Swan Village Hall where Region 11 of the Quilters Guild was having its annual exhibition. The standard was very high. There were a few sales tables including one who sold Tanzanian fabrics.  The saleslady said that the pieces should be washed to get rid of excess dye. Hence the above photo showing five 'fat quarters' hung up on the garage line. These are intended for covering books. I also washed the fan reed silk and inspected the drying bark - getting there but it will be another day or two. I intend to do some thicker bits next.

I found a video on the web showing how to paste paper to fabric for book covers. It looks good to me and I intend to have a big session in the garage doing just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.