Thursday 10 June 2010

Handspun Cushions (4)

I have finished the second cushion of handspun. I replaced the central white section with grey in the weft and it looks fine. I have worked out what to do colour-wise with the third and it looks as though I will have a bit of warp left over. I shall weave up to the very end and use that piece for the initial felting trials. I have decided I would like to try a felt cover to a book and can use the trial piece up.

Yesterday I had a great clear out upstairs where all the textile-y stuff is stored. We took a very nice cupboard downstairs for Michael's room to store all the medical things in. As a result there were piles of blankets and sheets on the floor! They have been found a home which has displaced a lot of yarn and fabric. But I went round to FOCUS in the afternoon and bought three sets of plastic drawers and everything is now off the floor and into drawers. I even have four empty drawers. I was a bit horrified at how many incomplete projects there are upstairs. For a couple of weeks, I think there has to be a rule 'NO NEW PROJECTS' while I try to complete a few things.

Pity because I wanted to start on the caladium leaves. I have ordered some more yarn from William Hall to make a much longer warp because I would like  to paint a sample with silk paints. And I can see a use for the fabric as book covers

Yesterday at bookbinding I made progress with binding Alice In Wonderland. I have got everything ready for making the cover and will put it all together next week. I took a piece of scrap sycamore into class and tried lettering on it. Gold leaf lettering is put on by having a letter on a long handle which you heat up and apply to the book spine or whatever through the gold foil. My original idea was to use the heated-up lettering tools to burn into the wood. I could get a good indentation but no burning. Some else pointed out that I could just use black foil. And it worked!All I have to do now is to learn how to get the lettering aligned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.