Saturday 26 June 2010

Liz Brooke-Ward

Yesterday I went over to Nature in Art to see the residential textile artist for this week, Liz Brooke-Ward. She was very busy dealing with queries and conversations. She displayed several of her pieces, based on fungi and lichens, but also some sketch books and I spent some time looking through these. Most of them were spiral bound in landscape format but she had sewn extra length on to the pages so they were much wider than usual. The most intriguing was an A5 portrait sketch-book done in black paper and cased-in (hard-back). It was covered in cloth which had been dyed at the same time as some of the contents. This must mean she did the covers after the book had been completed. Unlike the other books, this had a contents list and numbered pages, obviously added at the end of the work. Much more formal than the other books. Interesting. It was clearly a lot of extra work.

She was working on one of her green/blue lichen series (when she got the chance!).

There was a good textile exhibition on called 'Design for Life'. I shall be taking Dorothy to see that next week when she is here and so will talk about it then. But very interesting for the set-up.

This weekend will get underway shortly. We have my grandson and his girl-friend arriving today to stay overnight. There is a huge family Sunday lunch up at 'The Cottage in the Woods'.  Today I am being very brave and taking Michael to Spetchley Gardens. It will be a hot day and I must take a hat. I keep wondering if pushing a wheelchair round a garden in the heat is a 'good thing'. Well it will be a good thing for Michael.

I am progressing with my white jacket for next Saturday. The body is put together, including the applied ribbon. This morning I will put on the collar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.