Monday 7 June 2010

The fabric is finished, washed, ironed and hung up at the end of the corridor. Lynn suggested I should use it as a table runner and keep looking at it till I think of something to do with it. This serves the same function.   Thank you, Lynn.

This weekend was spent tidying up the talks I am giving to the London Guild next Saturday. They did not need so much doing to them as I remembered. But I have to deal with the problems of the samples. Last time I did a talk on 'Silk', I went by car. London means train. And some of my samples are 15 yards of kimono silk wrapped on stout cardboard cylinders. Way too heavy to take by train. So am I going to cut a length off?  I flatly refuse to cut into the patola sari length or the red silk and gold sari length. And the Tunisian curtain material is firstly very heavy and secondly carefully patterned over the length so I will wreck it if I cut a piece off. I can see a halfday spent upstairs with the 'Collection'. I have made a list of desirable samples.







I have warped up the Voyager with the chained and space dyed warp from Mary Jarvis (thanks Mary). It looks good. Now to see if Tencel+ merino in the weft gives the effect I am looking for. I want to get a scarf out of 2.5 metres of warp. So I am intending to cut it off after weaving 10 inches and see what the devore procedure does. It is supposed to be autumn leaves.

No reason to think that it will work. There are a number of questions which Anne Field says can only be answered by sampling such as sett. Not to mention that weft wool is the same size as the warp but the Tencel is thicker. And I do wonder after doing wraps if sage green was the right colour to dye it. Maybe brown?

So I am making a dent in my Project list. Although I forgot two very important jobs. 'Frijoles Creek Remembered' has to be sent off to Convergence and I want to finish a coat of white silk (woven by me) by July 4th when various bits of the family are going to Glyndebourne to see 'Cosi Fan Tutte' . I had given up the coat because it wants a trim and thought I might weave one but this deadline is too good to miss so I trawled the web for nice ribbon. I finished up with 4 yards of Suzani flowers from Laura Foster Nicholson. I loved the Morning Glory but not the colour of the background and the poppies are wonderful but it looks like it is intended to be used horizontally whereas I want it vertical.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.