Friday 25 December 2009

Christmas Day 2009 and a Patola Sari




I am so excited! My daughter, Ruth, works from Kuala Lumpur  but is in India a lot. She asked me some months ago if there was anything I wanted from India and I said 'Yes, a sample of patola'. I said I thought she could get a hanky-sized piece done for tourists. So she trailed round Delhi for hours and ended up in the Gujarat Government Crafts Shop which appeared to be the only place in Delhi selling patolas but only saris. And one was my Christmas present! Ruth said that the shop had about 30 of them and she insisted on inspecting every one of them. Mine is dark green with a pattern in red, white and metallic gold with a plain gold border. The pattern photo above is about 12 inches by 16, with each complete pattern about 6 inches square. It is fantastic - wonderful and a stunning example of warp and weft ikat in silk.  I shall not be cutting it up! I will just gloat over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.