Tuesday 28 August 2012

Stripes with Attitude

I see that it is a week since I last blogged. This is because last week I was busy getting ready for a 3 day weaving course over the weekend and then taking part. Barbara Walker was here from the States at the Braiding Conference and kindly agreed to run a three day course over the Bank holiday weekend. 'Stripes with Attitude'. Of course Barbara is well known for wanting to weave fabrics with only one shuttle so we were introduced to the delights of turning drafts. That was homework as was creating the wrappings which are shown below. I got out of bed early each morning to do the homework so that made for a long day.



 There were 8 weavers, with 3 non-Guild members. There should have been 10 but accidents happened to two. In one way, it was just as well there were only 8 because the room was definitely crowded. We used the upper room at the Church hall where the Guild meets because it was quite difficult to find a hall which could take us for three days. However the room was very comfortable with lots of light and a kitchen next door. Below are shown some samples cut from the looms at the end of the course.

A very productive and useful weekend.

I still have to sort out the stuff I brought home. Especially the yarn which Rosie and I supplied. I am sure  some of Rosie's must be in the bags and boxes I brought home. So that is one of today's jobs. The other one is to decide what to do with the warp left over from the course. It's a nice warp in 10/2 cotton and I think I will just weave it off.

There are two weeks to go before I leave for Complex Weavers Seminars in Washington DC and I have to finish and cut out the Diversified Plain Weave. Mainly because Rosie needs her sheep which are at the beginning of this lot of fabric. And that must be done by Saturday. Oh well, looks like the next few days will be  spent weaving. Better than having an existentialist crisis as my son-in-law phrases it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.