Sunday 19 August 2012

Bookbinding - and Savile Gardens


On Saturday Anna (my bookbinding tutor) ran a one-day class on Crossed Structure Bindings.The photo shows what I had at the end of the day. Quite pleasing and I will use the technique in future. The process was originally intended to replace covers on old books where the covers were beyond repair but now it is used for decoartive purposes. A lively class of 12 students.










At the end of the day, I got in my car and drove to Sunningdale to stay with my daughter. The reason being that I was required to finish pruning the apple tree and other shrubs in their rented house. It was a lovely warm evening spent in the garden watching someone else cook the barbeque! Since Ruth had a full Sunday planned, I got out into the garden at 7 am and had the pruning finished by the time the family appeared. The programme was

a) View the house they have just bought at 1030 - very nice It has two conservatories!!!
b) 1100 walk round Savile Gardens I have not been there for about 10 years and the family had never been there. Now it is 5 minutes drive from their rented house - and five minutes walk from their new house!! Actually in their rented house, Windsor Great Park is just up the road by 100 yards!! The Savile Gardens were really good and a photo or two are shown below.


Part of the long herbaceous border


One of the small rock gardens with a piece of scuplture in it!!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.