Tuesday 21 August 2012

Browned-offness and Some Rabbits

A certain amount of browned-offness has developed over the last two days. I have worked very long hours and accomplished a great deal but, at the same time, little of the long hours time has been spent on textiles. On Monday, I dealt with the next issue of the Shuttle which is the quarterly Kennet Valley Guild Newsletter. I had a number of articles waiting and ready but not quite enough. Last issue was a bit thin and I didn't want  another one like that (mind you, no-one complained. Do you think they did not notice or are they all too polite to mention it?) I managed to find an unused article which had never been published and was very interesting and put in a review of an exhibition by me - and added extra colour photos. But I have used up my stash of articles and so emailed someone to be ready for the next issue!! I did not finish the Shuttle until mid-afternoon today (Tuesday) and got it off about 5 pm. In between times today, I have been printing and collating documents for a 3-day course the guild is running with Barbara Walker as tutor next weekend. That seemed to take a lot of time as well.

I am slightly worried about the course as we are using a hall we have never used before and does anyone know where the tables are hidden? So to allow myself more time on Saturday, I have woven my sample on my loom. I do have another loom to warp up because Rosie Price and I thought that one of the drafts supplied was interesting and ought to be done so we are using a Guild loom. Rosie wound the warp and I am to install it.

I did manage to weave a bit on the Megado. The warp is being painted with Deka Silk paints as I go. Blue and aubergine and black. The tie down threads in the weft are a lighter blue shading from pink at the start which you cannot see in the photos.. The back ground cover is godo but I have my doubts about the Catherine Wheels.




Some cards made at a class run by Annette Lucas. Good fun - most enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.