Thursday 19 April 2012

Elephants

We visited an elephant sanctuary out of the city. About 90 minutes drive. It is in the jungle and the photo is of Madi and Louise riding on an elephant. Not me. Been there, done that. I don't like the swaying motion.

Yesterday we went shopping in KL. I ended up in a very posh Malaysian textile shop and had all the woven cotton out to look at, then bought 2 pieces and a cushion cover  which made the owner's day. Later on, in a shop selling carved wooden items, I came across a pile of backstrap woven cotton ikat from Sarawak, very nice and disgracefully cheap. So I had to have a piece.

Robin said he knew an interesting shop in China town. This turned out to be a haberdahers!!! Oh my. Fortunately bags of beads and buttons don't take up much luggage space. Speaking of which, I must go and start packing.

The next blog will be from home.

1 comment:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.