Monday 17 October 2011

OKINAWA (6) and HOME

On Saturday 15th we had to catch a plane back to Tokyo. But we realised that we had not been to the Praefectural Museum in Naha, the capital. So we left Emerald Beach smartly at 9 and got to the Museum at 1030 to find their was a special exhibition of Okinawan Arts and crafts on.  This was in honour  of the emigrants. Things were so bad in Okinawa in the late 1940s that huge numbers left. The main places were Hawaii, Brazil and South America. There was a huge conference on in Naha for them - clearly an annual event and this exhibition was part of the celebrations. It was mostly textiles but with some lacquer work and some paper - making. I didn't know that - missed a trick there. Ths exhibition was only on for the two weeks of the conference and they had not bothered with any English so it was a case of  'I think that's hemp'.  No photos allowed anywhere which is a pity.
The normal Textile Gallery did have English explanations and was very good. The Museum's website is not good - no pictures of textiles. Then back to the car and find the car rental place - which we did with Ruth's guidance.

Back to Tokyo, found hotel, ate spaghetti and tiramisu in Hotel restaurant and got ready for Sunday about which the less said the better. A 12 hour flight. I reached home at 7 and was in bed at 9.

So this morning has been spent on unpacking and loading the washing machine. Also worrying about the workhorse computer which will not switch on. I have done a lot of list making as the Weaving Exhibition at the National Needlework Archive is the priority for the next two weeks.

What am I left with? The Okinawan textiles really are something special. And I shall go back to ikat.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome home. Were you able to find donsu while in Kyoto?

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.