Thursday 6 October 2011

KYOTO (4)

Thursday was a clear sunny day and we started at the Museum of Modern Art where there was a big exhibition of the weaving of Kitamura Takeshi - the 'ra' man. Rosie Price and I saw his work at the British Museum a few years ago. This exhibition was to celebrate 60 years of weaving - he is a Kyoto man and they are proud of him. They must have borrowed from everyone because there was a great deal to see. It had been very well hung with lighting behind so that the 'leno' pattern could be easily seen. I call it leno but it is a very complicated version. It was a great treat. No photos allowed so I bought an exhibition catalogue. We had coffee there which was rather a good site as you sat on a terrace with cherry trees and a canal in front of you.

After that we went next door to the Kyoto Museum of Traditional Crafts. No photos again but first rate. A must for any visitor to Kyoto. There were workmen demostrating various techniques but also videos of crafts like making knives and stone carving. Lots of explanation and lots of examples and very quiet.

Then to the Nansen-ji Temple which is at the start of the Philospher's Walk. The above is a typical view.


This is  a view of the Silver Pavilion at the other end of the Philosopher's Walk. This was an extraordinary place. Everywhere Zen gardens. even in little 2 by 2 metre gaps between buildings. It is just at the edge of the hills and the sloping sections are planted with trees with moss underneath. I counted five gardeners weeding the moss!!! In other moss gardens we have seen here, the moss was  a bit ragged. Not here.

I had trouble with Google yesterday and did not show a photo I took in a restaurant. They had a small display of tea ceremony goods. This is a tea pot wrapped up in silk. The whole thing is three inches high.

This afternoon (Friday) we move to a Japanese Inn for two days. We are going to spend the day shopping!! Ruth wants a knife for her husband Robin and I have heard good things of a paper shop. I should say that we are always being handed beautifully printed pieces of paper which I have kept. I may have to iron them when I get home. We found   a lovely printer's shop on the Philosopher's Walk and indulged.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.