Thursday 6 October 2011

KYOTO (3) TEXTILE CENTRE

By lunchtime, it was pouring with rain so I borrowed an umbrella from the hotel and we went by bus to Nishijin Textile Center which was definietly disappointing. It is really a large shop with some demonstrations going on. There was no exhibition of textiles. No  The photo shows a very small display of fine silk (at least 100/2) which had been dyed with natural dyes.

Someone was tying up shibori, several people were doing Yuzen but on small pieces of fabric, not the kimono lengths we saw on Monday. There was a Jacquard loom and a drawloom all ready to go but nothing happening.

This a photo of an Ai-takedai. She was a bit taken aback when I ask if it was a takedai and she did a bit of special demo for us. It seems to produce much the same sort of braid (there  is a completed piece in the right hand lower corner) as a takedai. But Rosie Price will tell me what the difference is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.